- Places to Explore
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
Mariehamn's airport is 5 km from the town center and a EUR 10-EUR 15 10-minute taxi ride. Finnair provides service to and from Helsinki and Stockholm.
Åland is most cheaply reached by boat from Turku and Helsinki. Call the TallinkSiljan or Viking Line in Turku, Mariehamn, Tampere, or Helsinki. You can also reach the islands by Alandstrafiken ferry, which also transports cars. Purchase tickets at the harbor.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Finland Active- Winter IExplore
- $499 & up -- Transatlantic Cruises to Europe, Save $100 Norwegian Cruise Line
- Lapland Reindeer Safari IExplore
- Lapland Reindeer Safari — $14,990 IExplore
- Scandinavia Land of Norse Legend — $16,715 IExplore