Most towns have bikes for rent from about €10 per day (€50 per week). The fine scenery and the terrain, alternately dead flat and gently rolling, make for ideal cycling. The roads are not busy once you leave the highway.
Eckerö linjen. For Åland bicycle routes and tour packages, contact Eckerö linjen. The company also sells fishing packages, which typically include equipment, a cottage, and a license for three or four days. Torggatan 2, Mariehamn, 22101. 018/28040. www.eckerolinjen.fi.
Viking Line. This bike-friendly outfit also offers cottage rentals in Åland, as well as special packages for anglers. Storagatan 2, Mariehamn, 22100. 018/26211.
More Sports and Outdoors
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe