- Places to Explore
- Fodor's Choice
The Sodankylä region has some of the oldest Sami settlements, and today it is one of the most densely populated areas of Finnish Lapland. In the town of Sodankylä, 130 km (81 mi) north of Rovaniemi (via Rte. 4 or 5), is a Northern Lights Observatory (for professionals only) and an ancient wooden church. The Midnight Sun Film Festival draws crowds during the height of summer, running films in tents throughout the night.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
At eight fifteen in the evening I am on the cold and windy sundeck of the Amorella as the lights of Stockholm slowly fades in the distance.
On a moonless night I am making a ten hour journey across the Read more
We arrived in Helsinki around 6 pm coming from Ulan Bataar Mongolia (through Moscow). Read more
I just found out that I'll be visiting Helsinki in April 2014, and I'm super excited! Read more
· News & Features
It's the land of the midnight sun, its capital was named the 2012 World Design Capital, and Santa lives... Read more
Northern Finland’s tourism peaks in winter, and with good reason; in addition to snow sports galore...... Read more