- Places to Explore
- Fodor's Choice
SIIDA Center Review
The SIIDA Center, on the village outskirts, hosts exhibits on the Sami people and the northern seasons. The center houses the and the Ylä-Lapin luontokeskus (Northern Lapland Nature Center). The museum's permanent exhibitions include one on the evolution of nature and culture from the Ice Age to the present, while the main exhibit focuses on the unique natural features of northern Finland's arctic environment. Temporary exhibitions might focus on Sami history or art, nature photographs, or conservation. A 17-acre open-air museum complements the indoor exhibits at the center during the summer with displays of old Sami dwellings, trapping, and fishing gear.
Saamelaismuseo (400/898-212. www.siida.fi.).
Metsähallitus. The Nature Center includes the Metsähallitus, which can provide camping and fishing permits along with advice on exploring the wilderness. 020/564-100; 020/564-125 National customer service. www.metsa.fi.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Finland Active- Winter IExplore
- $499 & up -- Transatlantic Cruises to Europe, Save $100 Norwegian Cruise Line
- Lapland Reindeer Safari IExplore
- Lapland Reindeer Safari — $14,990 IExplore
- Scandinavia Land of Norse Legend — $16,715 IExplore
We arrived in Helsinki around 6 pm coming from Ulan Bataar Mongolia (through Moscow). Read more
We just got back from nearly two weeks in Iceland and Scandinavia last night -- and since the fourth cup of coffee is kicking in I thought I'd write up a short trip review. Read more
We planned our trip several months ago and felt satisfied with the number of days and places however in the past couple of weeks a few people have remarked that we should drop a day or two off of places Read more
· News & Features
It's the land of the midnight sun, its capital was named the 2012 World Design Capital, and Santa lives ... Read more
Northern Finland’s tourism peaks in winter, and with good reason; in addition to snow sports galore...... Read more