Lapland Travel Guide
- Places to Explore
- Fodor's Choice
Lapland is often called Europe's last wilderness, a region of endless forests, fells, and great silences. Settlers in Finnish Lapland walked gently and left the landscape almost unspoiled. Now easily accessible by plane, train, or bus, this arctic outpost offers comfortable hotels and modern amenities, yet you won't have to go very far to find yourself in an almost primordial setting.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Find the best Lapland restaurants in every price category with our top picks.
Things To Do in Lapland
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- Finland Active- Winter IExplore
- $499 & up -- Transatlantic Cruises to Europe, Save $100 Norwegian Cruise Line
- Lapland Reindeer Safari IExplore
- Lapland Reindeer Safari — $14,990 IExplore
- Scandinavia Land of Norse Legend — $16,715 IExplore
Winter sports reign in Lapland, from the quirky ice golfing to the traditional cross-country skiing. Ylläs, Levi, and Saariselkä are... Read more
It's the land of the midnight sun, its capital was named the 2012 World Design Capital, and Santa lives... Read more
Northern Finland’s tourism peaks in winter, and with good reason; in addition to snow sports galore...... Read more
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Now59° F Mostly Cloudy 55% Humidity June 19, 2013 at 11:50AM
Check historic weather for your trip datesArriving:
Places To Explore
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
We arrived in Helsinki around 6 pm coming from Ulan Bataar Mongolia (through Moscow). Read more
We just got back from nearly two weeks in Iceland and Scandinavia last night -- and since the fourth cup of coffee is kicking in I thought I'd write up a short trip review. Read more
We planned our trip several months ago and felt satisfied with the number of days and places however in the past couple of weeks a few people have remarked that we should drop a day or two off of places Read more