- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
All domestic and international flights to Helsinki use Helsinki-Vantaa International Airport, 20 km (12 mi) north of the city center.
Local bus 615 runs between the airport and the main railway station downtown from 4:50 am to 1:20 am. The fare is EUR 3.60 and the trip takes about 40 minutes. Finnair buses carry travelers to and from the railway station (Finnair's City Terminal) every 20 minutes, with a stop at the Scandic Hotel Continental Helsinki. Stops requested along the route from the airport to the city are also made. Travel time from the Scandic Hotel Continental to the airport is about 35 minutes from the main railway station; the fare is EUR 5.90. Buses to most airport hotels are free.
A limousine ride into central Helsinki will cost EUR 95-EUR 236, depending on size and make of vehicle. Contact Limousine Service if ordering from abroad. There's a taxi stop at the arrivals building. A cab ride into central Helsinki costs about EUR 30. Driving time is 20 to 35 minutes, depending on the time of day. Airport Taxi costs EUR 30-EUR 35 for one to four passengers, and operates shuttles between the city and the airport. If you are going to the airport, you must reserve by 7 pm the day before departure. Leaving from the airport, you do not need a reservation—just look for the Airport Taxi stands in the arrivals halls. The yellow line taxi stand at the airport also offers fixed-rate trips into the city.
Airport Taxi (0600/555-555. www.airporttaxi.fi. Weekdays 8-9; Weekends noon-9; At Helsinki-Vantaa Airport, daily 6-1.30 am.)
Helsinki-Vantaa Airport (Vantaa, 01531. 020/708-000. www.helsinki-vantaa.fi.)
Limousine Service (09/2797-800 in Helsinki. www.limousineservice.fi.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Small budget: Stay in Helsinki this May Fr $282+/Nt Expedia
- Small budget: Stay in Helsinki this May Fr $172+/Nt Save with Expedia, $31/night less
- Book the Cumulus Hakaniemi 3 Nts in May Fr $172+/Nt — $172 Expedia
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts at Helka Fr $183+/Nt — $183 Expedia
- Book the Hilton Helsinki Strand 3 Nts in May Fr $245+/Nt — $245 Expedia