Dating from 1827, the first wooden theater on this site was considered too vulnerable to fire and was replaced by a stone building in 1866. Ironically, the stone building was itself nearly destroyed by a fire. In 1936, a team of architects—Eero Saarinen and Jarl Eklundhe among them—renovated it. The whitewashed round theater today displays an attractive shape and dignified simplicity of design. The Swedish Theater's own company performs plays in Swedish year-round.