- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Savotta means "lumber camp," and the hearty food those lumberjacks would want is reflected on the menu. Located on Senate Square, directly across from Helsinki Cathedral, the 250-year-old building is adorned with knickknacks from a bygone era. The food is traditional Finnish food at its best—no effete New Scandinavian nonsense here. Meat dishes predominate, though there are fish and vegetarian options. The Provision Master's menu comes with a starter for two consisting of goat cheese, pâté-like reindeer rillettes, pickled chanterelles, smoked pike, arctic char, smoked salmon roe and a host of other delicious delicacies. Main course is reindeer round top roast and smoked potatoes. Pair it all with the locally brewed strong beer called tahti. Dessert is a house-made ice cream flavored with licorice. The cheerful staff are informative when it comes to questions about this very Finnish cuisine.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
At eight fifteen in the evening I am on the cold and windy sundeck of the Amorella as the lights of Stockholm slowly fades in the distance.
On a moonless night I am making a ten hour journey across the Read more
We arrived in Helsinki around 6 pm coming from Ulan Bataar Mongolia (through Moscow). Read more
I just found out that I'll be visiting Helsinki in April 2014, and I'm super excited! Read more
· News & Features
It's the land of the midnight sun, its capital was named the 2012 World Design Capital, and Santa lives... Read more
Northern Finland’s tourism peaks in winter, and with good reason; in addition to snow sports galore...... Read more