- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Yorkshire is the largest English region to explore (its fiercely proud inhabitants would say it's the only English region worth exploring). At the heart of it all is the ancient city of York, with its cathedral and medieval city walls. To the west is the busy city of Leeds, while a few miles away are the wild hills that form what the tourist office calls Brontë Country—Haworth, erstwhile home of the Brontë family, and the valleys and villages of the Yorkshire Dales. North of York is the North York Moors National Park. Isolated stone villages, moorland walks, and Rievaulx Abbey are within easy reach.
Along the east coast of Yorkshire, fine beaches and a fascinating history await you in the resort of Scarborough, the former whaling port of Whitby, and Robin Hood's Bay.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $142-$165 -- Central London Hotel Through Summer, 30% Off ibis London Euston St. Pancras
- $133 & up -- London: 4-Star Hotel near City Center, $200 Off Mercure London Bridge Hotel
- $1699 & up -- London, Paris & Rome 9 Nts. w/Air & Train Europe Express
- $499 & up -- Transatlantic Cruises to Europe, Save $100 Norwegian Cruise Line
- London and Paris Experience — $4,979 IExplore