- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
This busy market town on the western edge of the moors was once an important coaching stop on the main east–west route from the dales to the coast, known for its inns. Today it's a busy, affluent farm town. You can still stay in the Georgian inns, and on Saturday and Monday the cobbled medieval Market Place is filled with vendors. Thirsk gained fame as the town where James Herriot (real name Alf Wight) practiced as a country vet, experiences he wrote about in his memoir All Creatures Great and Small.
Elsewhere in Yorkshire
- Bolton Abbey
- Castle Howard
- Haworth: Heart of Brontë Country
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's