- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Tucked into a bend above the foaming River Swale, Richmond has a picturesque network of narrow Georgian streets and terraces opening onto a large cobbled marketplace that dates back to medieval times. The town's history can be traced to the late 11th century, when the Normans swept in, determined to subdue the local population and establish their rule in the north. They built the mighty castle whose massive keep still dominates the skyline.
Richmond at a Glance
Elsewhere in Yorkshire
- Bolton Abbey
- Castle Howard
- Haworth: Heart of Brontë Country
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's