- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's England 2014
Treasurer's House Review
Surprises await inside this large 17th-century house, the home from 1897 to 1930 of industrialist Frank Green. With a fine eye for texture, decoration, and pattern, Green re-created period rooms—including a medieval great hall—as a showcase for his collection of antique furniture. Delft tiles decorate the former kitchen (now a shop), copies of medieval stenciling cover the vibrant King's Room, and 17th-century stumpwork adorns the Tapestry Room. The cellar has displays about a ghostly Roman legion allegedly sighted there in the 1950s.
- Address: Minster Yard, York, YO1 7JL | Map It
- Phone: 01904/624247
- Cost: House and garden £6.50, attic tour £3, cellar tour £2.40
- Hours: Mar.–Oct., Sat.–Thurs. 11–5; Feb. and Nov., Sat.–Thurs. 11–3, by guided tour only; last admission at 4:30
- Website: www.nationaltrust.org.uk
- Location: York
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
For the time being, keep your Mediterranean give me North of England locations with the sun shining in Spring.
We dusted off our ‘Walks in the Forest of Bowland’ a Cicerone Guide written by Read more
I recently got back from a wonderful trip to Budapest, with overnight layovers in London coming and going. Read more
I am planning to backpack some parts of Europe. Read more
· News & Features
England’s Yorkshire inspired the Brontë sisters’ classic novels including Jane Eyre, ... Read more