- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's England 2014
Bolton Priory Review
Some of the loveliest Wharfedale scenery comes into view around Bolton Priory, the 13th-century ruins of an Augustinian priory that sit on a grassy embankment over a great curve of the River Wharfe. The ruins were immortalized by J.M.W. Turner, who was inspired to create a number of watercolors of the abbey and nearby sites. Close to Bolton Priory, surrounded by romantic woodland scenery, the River Wharfe plunges between a narrow chasm in the rocks (called the Strid) before reaching Barden Tower, a medieval hunting lodge. This lodge is now a ruin and can be visited just as easily as Bolton Priory, in whose grounds it stands. The priory is just a short walk or drive from the village of Bolton Abbey. You can visit the priory church on the Bolton Abbey estate, which is owned by the duke of Devonshire.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
First … thank you so much to all who helped with suggestions. Read more
We saw London, we saw France and lots more.
Day 1 (9/18) Amsterdam
Well I have put off this trip report long enough so here goes. I am writing this to pay forward the help and advice which I received from Read more
Alright, seasoned travelers, here is a very rough sketch of my itinerary for the summer. Read more
· News & Features
England’s Yorkshire inspired the Brontë sisters’ classic novels including Jane Eyre, ... Read more