- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's England 2014
Bolton Priory Review
Some of the loveliest Wharfedale scenery comes into view around Bolton Priory, the 13th-century ruins of an Augustinian priory that sit on a grassy embankment over a great curve of the River Wharfe. The ruins were immortalized by J.M.W. Turner, who was inspired to create a number of watercolors of the abbey and nearby sites. Close to Bolton Priory, surrounded by romantic woodland scenery, the River Wharfe plunges between a narrow chasm in the rocks (called the Strid) before reaching Barden Tower, a medieval hunting lodge. This lodge is now a ruin and can be visited just as easily as Bolton Priory, in whose grounds it stands. The priory is just a short walk or drive from the village of Bolton Abbey. You can visit the priory church on the Bolton Abbey estate, which is owned by the duke of Devonshire.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
For the time being, keep your Mediterranean give me North of England locations with the sun shining in Spring.
We dusted off our ‘Walks in the Forest of Bowland’ a Cicerone Guide written by Read more
I recently got back from a wonderful trip to Budapest, with overnight layovers in London coming and going. Read more
I am planning to backpack some parts of Europe. Read more
· News & Features
England’s Yorkshire inspired the Brontë sisters’ classic novels including Jane Eyre, ... Read more