- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Once an industrial powerhouse, Leeds has reinvented itself as a vibrant dining, drinking, and shopping destination with numerous cafés with outdoor tables defying the northern weather, trendy restaurants, and sleek bars. A large student population keeps the town young and hip, supporting the city's good music shops and funky boutiques.
The 20th century was not kind to Leeds: World War II air raids destroyed the city's most distinguished landmarks, and in the 1960s urban planners replaced much of what was left with undistinguished modern buildings. The city is currently restoring its surviving Victorian buildings and is converting riverfront factories and warehouses into pricey loft apartments and offices buildings.
Leeds at a Glance
Elsewhere in Yorkshire
- Bolton Abbey
- Castle Howard
- Haworth: Heart of Brontë Country
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe