- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
At the bottom of a precipitously deep rocky gorge along the River Nidd, the little town of Knaresborough could hardly be more photogenic. It's best seen from a train, crossing the high Victorian viaduct above. In summer you can rent a boat and row down the slow-moving river, or stroll through the town's square, site of a market since the early 14th century. On the top of the hill are the ruins of the castle where Richard II was imprisoned for a night in 1399.
Elsewhere in Yorkshire
- Bolton Abbey
- Castle Howard
- Haworth: Heart of Brontë Country
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's