Northeast of Chagford, this castle looks like a stout medieval fortress, complete with battlements, but construction actually took place between 1910 and 1930. Designed by noted architect Sir Edwin Lutyens for Julius Drewe, a wealthy grocer, the castle is only half finished (funds ran out). Inside, this magisterial pile combines medieval grandeur and early-20th-century comforts, and there are awesome views over Dartmoor's Teign Valley. The grounds are well worth a prolonged wander, with paths leading down to the river at Fingle Bridge. Major renovation work will be ongoing until 2018, which means that many parts of the castle are hidden behind scaffolding and some rooms are closed to visitors. However, new rooms have been opened, the main exhibits relocated, and a viewing platform constructed outside to see the work in progress. Turn off the A30 Exeter–Okehampton road at Whiddon Down to reach the castle.