- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
One of the city's oldest buildings, the 15th-century Prysten House, is the setting for the highly regarded, inventive cuisine of brothers Chris and James Tanner. The à la carte menu (fixed-price also available at lunchtime) includes roast Bodmin Moor venison loin, and seared fillet of brill with buttered leeks, fennel pollen, cockles, chervil, and vermouth. One of the two lattice-windowed dining rooms has a well in it, and the other is hung with tapestries. A canopied courtyard is ideal for alfresco dining. The brothers also operate the Barbican Kitchen, a more casual, less pricey offshoot of the restaurant at the Black Friars Distillery on Southside Street.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- May deal: The Silver Jubilee Fr $109+/Nt Expedia
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Newquay Fr $105+/Nt Expedia
- Save at 4-Star Hotel: 4 Nts + Air to Plymouth Fr $1547 Expedia
- May deal: The Windward Fr $153+/Nt — $153 Expedia
- Glendorgal on Sale: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $196+/Nt — $196 Expedia
We recently came back from a one week trip to London and found it thrilling. Read more
As promised I am making recommendations for places as separate threads so that they will be easily searchable when others are looking for recommendations.
Pubs: (New Town)
The Queen's Arms (Frederick Read more
Never taken an "Alone" trip before but it's about time! Read more