- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Cathedral Church of St. Andrew
Cathedral Church of St. Andrew Review
The great west towers of this medieval structure, the oldest surviving English Gothic church, can be seen for miles. Dating from the 12th century, the cathedral derives its beauty from the perfect harmony of all of its parts, the glowing colors of its original stained-glass windows, and its peaceful setting among stately trees and majestic lawns. To appreciate the elaborate west-front facade, approach the building from the cathedral green, accessible from Market Place through a great medieval gate called "penniless porch" (named after the beggars who once waited here to collect alms from worshippers). The cathedral's west front is twice as wide as it is high, and some 300 statues of kings and saints adorn it. Inside, vast inverted arches—known as scissor arches—were added in 1338 to stop the central tower from sinking to one side. The cathedral also has a rare and beautiful medieval clock, the second-oldest working clock in the world, consisting of the seated figure of a man called Jack Blandifer, who strikes a bell on the quarter hour while mounted knights circle in a joust. Near the clock is the entrance to the Chapter House—a small wooden door opening onto a great sweep of stairs worn down on one side by the tread of pilgrims over the centuries. Free guided tours lasting up to an hour begin at the back of the cathedral. A cloister restaurant serves snacks and teas.
- Address: Cathedral Green, Wells, BA5 2UE | Map It
- Phone: 01749/674483
- Cost: £6 suggested donation
- Hours: Apr.--Sept., daily 7--7; Oct.--Mar., daily 7--6. Tours Apr.--Oct., Mon.--Sat. at 10, 11, 1, 2, and 3; Nov.--Mar., Mon.--Sat. at 11, noon, and 2.
- Website: www.wellscathedral.org.uk
- Location: Wells
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Plymouth Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $141+/Nt Expedia
- Plymouth Savings! Book at Sydney Guest House Fr $78+/Nt Expedia
- 4-Star Plymouth Sale! 4 Nts + Air Fr $2297 Expedia
- Special deal: 4-Star Bristol Marriott Royal Fr $154+/Nt — $154 Expedia
- The Washington in May: $91 & Up — $91 Save with Expedia, $10/night less
We recently came back from a one week trip to London and found it thrilling. Read more
As promised I am making recommendations for places as separate threads so that they will be easily searchable when others are looking for recommendations.
Pubs: (New Town)
The Queen's Arms (Frederick Read more
First timer here...have been go-ogling last couple of weeks for planning my first trip to Europe
Every search throws up some Fodor forum link...and have been very impressed by the people who Read more