- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Cathedral Church of St. Andrew
Cathedral Church of St. Andrew Review
The great west towers of this medieval structure, the oldest surviving English Gothic church, can be seen for miles. Dating from the 12th century, the cathedral derives its beauty from the perfect harmony of all of its parts, the glowing colors of its original stained-glass windows, and its peaceful setting among stately trees and majestic lawns. To appreciate the elaborate west-front facade, approach the building from the cathedral green, accessible from Market Place through a great medieval gate called "penniless porch" (named after the beggars who once waited here to collect alms from worshippers). The cathedral's west front is twice as wide as it is high, and some 300 statues of kings and saints adorn it. Inside, vast inverted arches—known as scissor arches—were added in 1338 to stop the central tower from sinking to one side.
The cathedral has a rare and beautiful medieval clock, the second-oldest working clock in the world, consisting of the seated figure of a man called Jack Blandifer, who strikes a bell on the quarter hour while mounted knights circle in a joust. Near the clock is the entrance to the Chapter House—a small wooden door opening onto a great sweep of stairs worn down on one side by the tread of pilgrims over the centuries. Free guided tours lasting up to an hour begin at the back of the cathedral. A cloister restaurant serves snacks and teas.
- Address: Cathedral Green, Wells, BA5 2UE | Map It
- Phone: 01749/674483
- Cost: £6 suggested donation
- Hours: Apr.–Sept., daily 7–7; Oct.–Mar., daily 7–6. Tours Apr.–Oct., Mon.–Sat. at 10, 11, 1, 2, and 3; Nov.–Mar., Mon.–Sat. at 11, noon, and 2.
- Website: www.wellscathedral.org.uk
- Location: Wells
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
My boyfriend (D) and I went on a semi-vacation for a few weeks in the Fall of 2013. Read more
PROLOGUE – Shut Out and Scrambling For Lodging
The still-to-this-day-maddening email arrived about 48 hours before Kim, Mary, Tracy and I were to take-off from LAX to London: “London Property Read more
I am planning to visit my daughter age 21, who is attending Univ of London for 2 weeks on a budget of $1200 for 13 days. Read more