- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's England 2014
One of Cornwall's greatest country piles, Lanhydrock gives a look into the lives of the upper classes in the 19th century. The former home of the powerful, wealthy Robartes family was originally constructed in the 17th century but was totally rebuilt after a fire in 1881. Its granite exterior remains true to the house's original form, however, and the long picture gallery in the north wing, with its barrel-vaulted plaster ceiling depicting 24 biblical scenes, survived the devastation. A small museum shows photographs and letters relating to the family. The house's endless pantries, sculleries, dairies, nurseries, and linen cupboards bear witness to the immense amount of work involved in maintaining this lifestyle. About 900 acres of wooded parkland border the River Fowey, and in spring the gardens present an exquisite ensemble of magnolias, azaleas, and rhododendrons. Allow two hours to see the house and more time to stroll the grounds. The house is 3 miles southeast of Bodmin.
- Address: Off A30, A38, and B3268, Bodmin, PL30 5AD
- Phone: 01208/265950
- Cost: £11; grounds only, £6.50
- Hours: House Apr.–Sept., Tues.–Sun. 11–5:30; Mar. and Oct., Tues.–Sun. 11–5; garden mid-Feb.–Oct., daily 10–6; park daily dawn–dusk; last admission 30 mins before closing
- Website: www.nationaltrust.org.uk
- Location: Bodmin
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
First … thank you so much to all who helped with suggestions. Read more
We saw London, we saw France and lots more.
Day 1 (9/18) Amsterdam
Well I have put off this trip report long enough so here goes. I am writing this to pay forward the help and advice which I received from Read more
Alright, seasoned travelers, here is a very rough sketch of my itinerary for the summer. Read more