- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's England 2014
The National Trust is gradually restoring this extravagant, 35-bedroom Victorian–Gothic Revival mansion. Every ornate detail of this decorative-arts showcase compels attention. Besides magnificent woodwork, stained glass, tiles, and original furniture and fabrics, the house contains the modern conveniences of the 1860s, such as a heated billiards table, and the servants' quarters are equally absorbing. There's a restaurant and family play area, too. You can see the house, garden, and chapel at your own pace. Arrive early in the day to avoid the crowds competing for timed tickets—Monday and Tuesday are the quietest days. Tyntesfield is 7 miles southwest of Bristol; take Bus 354 or 361 from the city every day except Sunday.
- Address: B3128, Wraxall, BS48 1NX
- Phone: 01275/461900
- Cost: £13.20; gardens only £8.10
- Hours: House early Feb.–early Mar., Sat.–Wed. 11–3; early Mar.–early July, Sat.–Wed. 11–5; early July–Oct., Fri.–Wed. 11–5; early Dec.–mid-Dec., Mon.–Wed. and Fri. 11–3. Gardens early Mar.–early Nov., daily 10–6, early Nov.–early Mar., 10–5 or dusk
- Website: www.nationaltrust.org.uk
- Location: Bristol
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
For the time being, keep your Mediterranean give me North of England locations with the sun shining in Spring.
We dusted off our ‘Walks in the Forest of Bowland’ a Cicerone Guide written by Read more
I recently got back from a wonderful trip to Budapest, with overnight layovers in London coming and going. Read more
First I want to thank everyone who responded to my post last year which made our trip a success. Read more