- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's England 2014
An exquisite 18th-century home with many of its original furnishings, Saltram was built around the remains of a late-Tudor mansion. Its jewel is one of Britain's grandest neoclassical rooms, a vast, double-cube salon designed by Robert Adam and hung with paintings by Sir Joshua Reynolds, first president of the Royal Academy of Arts, who was born nearby in 1723. Fine plasterwork adorns many rooms, and three have original Chinese wallpaper. The outstanding garden includes rare trees and shrubs, and there's a restaurant and a cafeteria. Saltram is 3½ miles east of Plymouth city center.
- Address: South of A38, Plympton, PL7 1UH | Map It
- Phone: 01752/333503
- Cost: £9.70; garden only £5
- Hours: House early Mar.–early Nov., Sat.–Thurs. noon–4:30; last admission at 3:45. Garden early Mar.–early Nov., daily 11–5; early Nov.–early Mar., daily 11–4
- Website: www.nationaltrust.org.uk
- Location: Plymouth
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
First … thank you so much to all who helped with suggestions. Read more
We saw London, we saw France and lots more.
Day 1 (9/18) Amsterdam
Well I have put off this trip report long enough so here goes. I am writing this to pay forward the help and advice which I received from Read more
An early morning departure from Terminal 2, four people with luggage and rental car to be returned either that morning or late afternoon before. Read more