- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's England 2014
Cotehele House and Quay
Cotehele House and Quay Review
About 4 miles west of Buckland Abbey and 9 miles southwest of Tavistock, Cotehele House and Quay was formerly a busy port on the River Tamar, but it is now usually visited for the well-preserved, atmospheric late-medieval manor, home of the Edgcumbe family for centuries. The house has original furniture, tapestries, embroideries, and armor, and you can also visit the impressive gardens, a quay museum, and a restored mill (usually in operation on Tuesday and Thursday). A limited number of visitors are allowed per day, so arrive early and be prepared to wait during busy periods. Choose a bright day, because the rooms have no electric light. Shops, crafts studios, a gallery, and a restaurant provide other diversions. Take advantage of the shuttle bus that runs every half hour between the house, quay, and mill.
- Address: Off A390, St. Dominick, PL12 6TA | Map It
- Phone: 01579/351346
- Cost: £9; gardens and mill only, £5.40
- Hours: House mid-Mar.–early Nov., Sat.–Thurs. 11–4. Mill early Mar.–Sept., daily 11–5; Oct–early Nov., daily 11–4:30. Gardens daily dawn–dusk.
- Website: www.nationaltrust.org.uk
- Location: Tavistock and Environs
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
For the time being, keep your Mediterranean give me North of England locations with the sun shining in Spring.
We dusted off our ‘Walks in the Forest of Bowland’ a Cicerone Guide written by Read more
I recently got back from a wonderful trip to Budapest, with overnight layovers in London coming and going. Read more
First I want to thank everyone who responded to my post last year which made our trip a success. Read more