- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's England 2014
Cotehele House and Quay
Cotehele House and Quay Review
About 4 miles west of Buckland Abbey and 9 miles southwest of Tavistock, Cotehele House and Quay was formerly a busy port on the River Tamar, but it is now usually visited for the well-preserved, atmospheric late-medieval manor, home of the Edgcumbe family for centuries. The house has original furniture, tapestries, embroideries, and armor, and you can also visit the impressive gardens, a quay museum, and a restored mill (usually in operation on Tuesday and Thursday). A limited number of visitors are allowed per day, so arrive early and be prepared to wait during busy periods. Choose a bright day, because the rooms have no electric light. Shops, crafts studios, a gallery, and a restaurant provide other diversions. Take advantage of the shuttle bus that runs every half hour between the house, quay, and mill.
- Address: Off A390, St. Dominick, PL12 6TA | Map It
- Phone: 01579/351346
- Cost: £9; gardens and mill only, £5.40
- Hours: House mid-Mar.–early Nov., Sat.–Thurs. 11–4. Mill early Mar.–Sept., daily 11–5; Oct–early Nov., daily 11–4:30. Gardens daily dawn–dusk.
- Website: www.nationaltrust.org.uk
- Location: Tavistock and Environs
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
First … thank you so much to all who helped with suggestions. Read more
We saw London, we saw France and lots more.
Day 1 (9/18) Amsterdam
Well I have put off this trip report long enough so here goes. I am writing this to pay forward the help and advice which I received from Read more
An early morning departure from Terminal 2, four people with luggage and rental car to be returned either that morning or late afternoon before. Read more