- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's England 2014
Castle Drogo Review
Northeast of Chagford, this castle looks like a stout medieval fortress, complete with battlements, but construction actually took place between 1910 and 1930. Designed by noted architect Sir Edwin Lutyens for Julius Drewe, a wealthy grocer, the castle is only half finished (funds ran out). Inside, this magisterial pile combines medieval grandeur and early-20th-century comforts, and there are awesome views over Dartmoor's Teign Valley. Renovation work will be ongoing until 2018, which means that walls may be hidden behind scaffolding and some rooms will be closed to visitors. Turn off the A30 Exeter–Okehampton road at Whiddon Down to reach the castle.
- Address: Off A30 and A382, Drewsteignton, EX6 6PB | Map It
- Phone: 01647/433306
- Cost: £8.70; grounds only, £5.50
- Hours: Castle early Mar.–early Nov., daily 11–5; early Nov.–late Dec., weekends 11–4. Grounds early Mar.–early Nov., daily 10–5:30 or dusk; early Nov.–early Mar., daily 11–4.
- Website: www.nationaltrust.org.uk
- Location: Chagford
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Happened to log on and noticed a couple of people asking how we got on in London! Read more
Last night I had dinner in the Aqua restaurant in the Shard, on the 31st floor, with my colleagues, to celebrate a profitable six months, and the hard work and long hours put in by the team Read more
Hi to All, As usual, I'm starting my TR ahead of the trip (about a month) so others can gauge how much pre-planning they need. Read more