- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's England 2014
Eden Project Review
Spectacularly set in a former china-clay pit, this garden presents the world's major plant systems in microcosm. The crater contains more than 70,000 plants—many of them rare or endangered species—from three climate zones. Plants from the temperate zone are outdoors, and those from other zones are housed in hexagonally paneled geodesic domes. In the Mediterranean Biome, olive and citrus groves mix with cacti and other plants indigenous to warmer climates. The Rainforest Biome steams with heat, resounds to the gushing of a waterfall, and blooms with exotic flora. The emphasis is on conservation and ecology, but is free of any editorializing. A free shuttle helps the footsore, and well-informed guides provide information. An entertaining exhibition in the visitor center gives you the lowdown on the project, and the Core, an education center, provides amusement and instruction for children. There are open-air concerts in summer and an ice-skating rink in winter. The Eden Project is 3 miles northeast of Charleston and 5 miles northwest of Fowey. There's frequent bus service from Fowey to St. Austell.
- Address: Bodelva Rd., off A30, A390, and A391 St. Austell, PL24 2SG | Map It
- Phone: 01726/811911
- Cost: £23.50, £19.50 if arriving by bike, on foot, or on public transport
- Hours: Apr.–Oct., daily 9:30–6; Nov.–Mar., daily 10–4; last admission 90 min before closing
- Website: www.edenproject.com
- Location: Fowey
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
For the time being, keep your Mediterranean give me North of England locations with the sun shining in Spring.
We dusted off our ‘Walks in the Forest of Bowland’ a Cicerone Guide written by Read more
I recently got back from a wonderful trip to Budapest, with overnight layovers in London coming and going. Read more
First I want to thank everyone who responded to my post last year which made our trip a success. Read more