- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's England 2014
Buckland Abbey Review
A 13th-century Cistercian monastery, Buckland Abbey became the home of Sir Francis Drake in 1581. Today it's filled with mementos of Drake and the Spanish Armada and has a restaurant. The house is 6 miles south of Tavistock; to get here, take A386 south to Crapstone and then head west.
- Address: Off A386, Yelverton, PL20 6EY | Map It
- Phone: 01822/853607
- Cost: £8.55; grounds only £4.50
- Hours: House mid Feb.–early Mar. and early Dec.–late Dec., daily noon–4; early Mar.–early Nov., daily 11:30–4:30; early Nov.–early Dec., Fri.–Sun. noon–4. Grounds mid Feb.–early Nov. and early Dec.–late Dec., daily 10:30–5:30; early Nov.–early Dec., Fri.–Sun. 10:30–5:30. Last admission 45 mins before closing.
- Website: www.nationaltrust.org.uk
- Location: Tavistock and Environs
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
For the time being, keep your Mediterranean give me North of England locations with the sun shining in Spring.
We dusted off our ‘Walks in the Forest of Bowland’ a Cicerone Guide written by Read more
I recently got back from a wonderful trip to Budapest, with overnight layovers in London coming and going. Read more
I am planning to backpack some parts of Europe. Read more