The West Country Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go
A coastal walk: For high, dramatic cliff scenery, choose the Exmoor coast around Lynmouth or the coast around Tintagel. The South West Coast Path is 630 miles long.
Riding or hiking on Dartmoor: Escape to southern England's greatest wilderness—a treeless expanse dotted with rocky outcrops; there are many organized walks and pony-trekking operations.
Seafood in Padstow: Celebrity chef Rick Stein rules the roost in this small, pretty Cornish port, and any of his establishments will strongly satisfy.
Tate St. Ives: There's nowhere better to absorb the local arts scene than this offshoot of London's Tate in the pretty seaside town of St. Ives. A rooftop café claims views over Porthmeor Beach.
A visit to Eden: It's worth the journey west for Cornwall's Eden Project alone: a wonderland of plant life in a former clay pit. Two gigantic geodesic "biomes" are filled with flora.
Wells Cathedral: A perfect example of medieval craftsmanship, the building is a stunning spectacle.Updated: 10-2013
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's