- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The West Country's biggest city (population 420,000), Bristol has in recent years become one of the country's most vibrant centers, with a thriving cultural scene encompassing some of the best contemporary art, theater, and music. Buzzing bars, cafés, and restaurants, and a largely youthful population make it an attractive place to spend time.
Now that the city's industries no longer rely on the docks, the historic harbor along the River Avon has been given over to recreation. Arts and entertainment complexes, museums, and galleries fill the quayside. The pubs and clubs here draw the under-25 set and make the area fairly boisterous (and best avoided) on Friday and Saturday nights.
Bristol also trails a great deal of history in its wake. It can be called the "birthplace of America" with some confidence, for John Cabot and his son Sebastian sailed from the old city docks in 1497 to touch down on the North American mainland, which he claimed for the English crown. The city had been a major center since medieval times, but in the 17th and 18th centuries it became the foremost port for trade with North America. Bristol was the home of William Penn, developer of Pennsylvania, and a haven for John Wesley, whose Methodist movement played an important role in colonial Georgia.
Bristol at a Glance
- Berkeley Castle
- Bristol Zoo Gardens
- Church of St. Mary Redcliffe
- Clifton Suspension Bridge
Elsewhere in The West Country
- Dartmoor National Park
- Exmoor National Park
- Land's End
- Lizard Peninsula
- Lydford Gorge
- Lynton and Lynmouth
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Redwood & Country Club in May: $113 & Up Save with Expedia, $24/night less
- Bristol Savings! Book at Bristol Marriott Royal Fr $154+/Nt Expedia
- Plymouth 4-Star Hotel Sale! 4 Nts + Air Fr $2297 Expedia
- Book 4-Star Westfield House in Bristol Fr $155+/Nt — $155 Expedia
- Hilton Garden Inn Bristol City Centre in May: $131 & Up — $131 Expedia