- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's England 2014
Stowe Landscape Gardens
Stowe Landscape Gardens Review
This superb example of a Georgian garden was created for the Temple family by the most famous gardeners of the 18th century. Capability Brown, Charles Bridgeman, and William Kent all worked on the land to create 980 acres of pleasing greenery in the valleys and meadows. More than 40 striking monuments, follies, and temples dot the landscape of lakes, rivers, and pleasant vistas; this is a historically important place, but it's not for those who want primarily a flower garden. Allow at least half a day if you want to explore the grounds. Stowe House, at its center, is now a fancy school with some magnificently restored rooms; it's open for tours most afternoons from Sunday through Thursday, but call ahead. The gardens are about 3 miles northwest of Buckingham, which is 14 miles northwest of Aylesbury. You enter the gardens through the New Inn visitor center, where there are period parlor rooms to explore.
- Address: New Inn Farm, off A422, Stowe, Buckingham, MK18 5EQ | Map It
- Phone: 01280/817156; 01280/818166 house information line; 01289/818002 house tours
- Cost: Gardens £8.20; house £5.50; house and gardens £13.25
- Hours: Mar.–late Oct., daily 10–6; late Oct.–Feb., daily 10–4; last admission 90 mins before closing
- Website: www.nationaltrust.org.uk
- Location: Aylesbury
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
First … thank you so much to all who helped with suggestions. Read more
We saw London, we saw France and lots more.
Day 1 (9/18) Amsterdam
Well I have put off this trip report long enough so here goes. I am writing this to pay forward the help and advice which I received from Read more
We will have 10 days to do some touring from the beginning of May.
We will depart from London and had been thinking to head north. Visiting York and heading to the Lakes District. Is this a good choice? Read more
· News & Features
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting. ... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more
Kick off spring with some of this year's best events and hotel packages in Washington, D.C.... Read more