- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
You may choose, like many an Oxford student, to spend a summer afternoon punting, while dangling your Champagne bottle in the water to keep it cool. Punts—shallow-bottom boats that are poled slowly up the river—can be rented in several places, including at the foot of the Magdalen Bridge.
Cherwell Boathouse. From mid-March through mid-October, Cherwell Boathouse will rent you a boat and, if you wish, someone (usually an Oxford student) to punt it. Rentals are £14 (317 on weekends) per hour or £70 (£85 on weekends) per day, and should be booked ahead. The facility, a mile north of the heart of Oxford, also includes a stylish restaurant. Bardwell Rd., Oxford, OX2 6ST. 01865/515978. www.cherwellboathouse.co.uk.
Salter's Steamers. At the St. Aldates Road end of Folly Bridge, Salter's Steamers rents out punts and skiffs (rowboats) for £20 per hour, £60 per half day, and £100 per day. Its chauffeured punts are £60 per hour, booked in advance. Folly Bridge, Oxford, OX1 4LA. 01865/243421. www.salterssteamers.co.uk.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's