Down the hill past Church Square, Ypres Tower (pronounced "Wipers" by locals) was originally built as part of the town's fortifications (now all but disappeared) in 1249; it later served as a prison. A recent refurbishment has added an interesting exhibition on life here as a female prisoner in the "women's tower" in the 1830s; otherwise its local history museum holds a rather random collection of items, from smuggling bric-a-brac to shipbuilding mementos. A row of defensive cannons are fixed to the rampart overlooking the (disappointingly industrial) edge of Rye, and several miles of flatland beyond. When they were installed, however, the canons pointed directly out to sea.
Gungarden, Rye, TN31 7AY, England