On 1,100 acres, this luxurious Victorian manor house was built as a private home in 1850; it was owned by a friend of the current queen until the 1980s, and she was a regular visitor. Today it exudes traditional country-house style, with a magnificent Victorian staircase. There are many special touches—the Gothic library has a secret door that leads to a private courtyard. The dining room prepares such elegant fare as seared guinea fowl with creamed spinach and chive sauce. Golfers get a special rate at a nearby course. The house is 6 miles north of Lewes.