- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
In the south of England, the inland county of Wiltshire’s wide-open Salisbury Plain offers a sharp contrast to the sheltered villages of coastal Hampshire and Dorset and the bustle of the port cities of Southampton and Portsmouth. Spend your nights in the more culturally compelling towns of Salisbury and Winchester instead of these cities.
One draw outside Salisbury is Stonehenge; you're also near the stone circles at Avebury. From there you can swing south to the New Forest. The southern coast of Dorset has a couple of popular vacation resorts, Bournemouth and Weymouth, and some historic sites: Corfe Castle, Maiden Castle, and Cerne Abbas. Lyme Regis, at the center of the wide arc of Lyme Bay, is a vacation favorite. It provides a gateway to the Jurassic Coast, a World Heritage Site that stretches between Swanage in the east and Exmouth in Devon.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's