This prestigious "public" (meaning private) school—the oldest continuously run one in the country, with several buildings still in use after six centuries—was founded in 1382 by Bishop William of Wykeham, whose alabaster tomb sits in a chapel dedicated to him in Winchester Cathedral. The wooden ceiling of the school's own 14th-century chapel is notable for its delicate fan vaulting. The boys wearing monk-style cassocks are "scholars"—students holding academic scholarships. Tours are sometimes canceled due to college events, so call ahead.
College St., Winchester, SO23 9NA, England