- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's England 2014
This 60-room Palladian mansion located on 6,000 acres near the town of Romsey was the home of 19th-century British Prime Minister Lord Palmerston and later of Earl Mountbatten of Burma (1900–79), uncle of Prince Philip and mentor to Prince Charles, who, as the last Viceory of India, was in charge of that country's transition to independence before being killed by the IRA. One of the the grandest houses in Hampshire, Broadlands dates back to the 18th century and holds a large collection of antiques, Greek and Roman marbles, and Old Master paintings, including three Van Dycks. Landscape designer Capability Brown laid out the grounds, which include wide lawns sweeping down to the banks of the River Test.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
First … thank you so much to all who helped with suggestions. Read more
We saw London, we saw France and lots more.
Day 1 (9/18) Amsterdam
Well I have put off this trip report long enough so here goes. I am writing this to pay forward the help and advice which I received from Read more
Hi Fodorites! Read more
· News & Features
The incredible popularity of Masterpiece Classic's Downton Abbey has put the spotlight on Highclere Castle, ... Read more