- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's England 2014
Highclere Castle Review
Set in 1,000 acres of parkland designed by Capability Brown, the historic home of the actual Earls of Carnarvon—as opposed to the imaginary Earls of Grantham of period television drama Downton Abbey, which is shot here—owes its appearance to Sir Charles Barry, architect of the Houses of Parliament. Commissioned by the third Earl to transform a simpler Georgian mansion, Barry used golden Bath stone to create this fantasy castle bristling with "Gothic" turrets. Like its fictional counterpart, it served as a hospital during World War I. Highlights of the State Rooms include Van Dyke's equestrian portrait of Charles I in the Dining Room and the imposing library (Lord Grantham's retreat). There's also an exhibit of Egyptian antiquities collected by the 5th Earl, known for his pivotal role in the 1920s excavation of ancient Egyptian tombs, notably Tutankhamen's. Get good views of the house and countryside by walking the gardens and grounds. The house is 25 miles north of Winchester and 5 miles south of Newbury; there's train service from London and Winchester to Newbury, and taxis can take you the 5 miles to Highclere.
- Address: Off A34, Highclere Park, Newbury, RG20 9RN
- Phone: 01635/253204
- Cost: £16 castle, exhibition, and gardens; £9.50 castle and gardens or exhibition; £5 gardens only
- Hours: July–mid-Sept., Sun.–Thurs. 10:30–6; last admission at 4. Also selected days Apr.–June
- Website: www.highclerecastle.co.uk
- Location: Winchester
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
For the time being, keep your Mediterranean give me North of England locations with the sun shining in Spring.
We dusted off our ‘Walks in the Forest of Bowland’ a Cicerone Guide written by Read more
I recently got back from a wonderful trip to Budapest, with overnight layovers in London coming and going. Read more
We will be in northern Wales near Swallow Falls this June...looking to head back to Heathrow via the coast. Any tips on stops? We are 2 adults, an 18yr old boy and a 13yr old girl. We will have 2 days to Read more
· News & Features
The incredible popularity of Masterpiece Classic's Downton Abbey has put the spotlight on Highclere Castle,... Read more