- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's England 2014
At a Glance
- beautiful setting
- atmospheric guest rooms
- lower-priced modern rooms small
- country house "shabby chic" not to everyone's taste
Check Rates from our Partners
Lainston House Review
The 63 acres surrounding this elegant 17th-century country house retain many original features, including the walls of the kitchen garden (still in use), the apple trees in the former orchard, and a mile-long avenue of Linden trees, the longest in Europe. The house itself is similarly rich in period details such as a baronial staircase, wood paneling with carvings by Grinling Gibbons in the bar, and two fireplaces surrounded by hand-painted Delft tiles. (The house dates from the reign of William and Mary, when all things Dutch were in fashion.) Rooms may have original wood shutters and ceiling molding, but the bathrooms have up-to-date electronics and under-floor heating. Smaller, less pricey rooms in one of five extensions are more modern. Don't miss the falconry displays featuring the resident owls and falcons or the ruined 12th-century chapel. The hotel is 2½ miles northwest of Winchester.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
For the time being, keep your Mediterranean give me North of England locations with the sun shining in Spring.
We dusted off our ‘Walks in the Forest of Bowland’ a Cicerone Guide written by Read more
I recently got back from a wonderful trip to Budapest, with overnight layovers in London coming and going. Read more
Can both be done on the same day without rushing? Read more
· News & Features
The incredible popularity of Masterpiece Classic's Downton Abbey has put the spotlight on Highclere Castle,... Read more