- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's England 2014
Carisbrooke Castle Review
Standing above the village of Carisbrooke, this castle was built by the Normans and enlarged in Elizabethan times. It had its moment of historical glory when King Charles I was imprisoned here during the English Civil War; note the small window in the north curtain wall through which he tried unsuccessfully to escape. You can walk along the battlements and visit the well house, which still uses donkeys to draw water, and also explore the Edwardian-style Princess Beatrice garden and a small museum devoted to Charles I and the English Civil War. The castle is about a mile southwest of the Isle of Wight's modern-day capital, Newport. From Cowes, take Bus 1 or 5 (1 from West Cowes, near Holmwood Hotel; 5 from East Cowes, near Osborne House) to Newport, from where you can walk (about 30 minutes) or pick up either Bus 6, 7 or 38—it's about a 10-minute walk from the bus stop in The Mall, Carisbrooke.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
First … thank you so much to all who helped with suggestions. Read more
We saw London, we saw France and lots more.
Day 1 (9/18) Amsterdam
Well I have put off this trip report long enough so here goes. I am writing this to pay forward the help and advice which I received from Read more
· News & Features
The incredible popularity of Masterpiece Classic's Downton Abbey has put the spotlight on Highclere Castle, ... Read more