- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
Wightlink operates a car ferry between the mainland and the Isle of Wight. The crossing takes about 30 minutes from Lymington to Yarmouth, 45 minutes from Portsmouth to Fishbourne. The company also operates catamaran service between Portsmouth and Ryde (20 minutes). Red Funnel runs a car ferry (one hour) between Southampton and East Cowes and hydrofoil service (25 minutes) to West Cowes. Hovertravel runs a hovercraft shuttle between Southsea (Portsmouth) and Ryde (15 minutes). The island is covered by a good network of roads, and you can rely on a regular local bus service. Southern Vectis, the local bus company, operates open-top tours between March and early November. One goes to Dimbola Lodge, the Needles, and Alum Bay. You can board and disembark at different points for £10.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's