The South Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go
Salisbury Cathedral: At one of England's most spectacular cathedrals, try a tour around the roof and spire for a fascinating angle on this must-see monument.
Stonehenge: At the right time of day (early or late is best), this mystical ring of stones can cast a memorable spell against the backdrop of Salisbury Plain.
House and garden at Stourhead: It's the perfect English combination. An 18th-century Palladian mansion plus acres of landscaped parkland, induce feelings of bliss.
The New Forest: Get away from it all in the South's most extensive woodland, crisscrossed by myriad trails that are ideal for horseback riding, hiking, and biking.
Literary trails: Jane Austen, Thomas Hardy, John Fowles, and Ian McEwan have made this area essential for book buffs, with a concentration of sights in Chawton, Dorchester, Chesil Beach, and Lyme Regis.Updated: 10-2013
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's