- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The small market town of Rothbury, surrounded by stunning countryside, originally developed as a Victorian resort, attracting the gentry who roamed its hills and glades. Cragside, a notable country house, is one survivor of this period. Buildings from the era survive in the handsome center, although, as with many such towns, the sheer weight of modern traffic has blunted its appeal.
Rothbury at a Glance
Elsewhere in The Northeast
- Barnard Castle
- Bishop Auckland
- Dunstanburgh Castle
- Farne Islands
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's