Castle Keep Review
Overlooking the Tyne River, the remains of the Norman castle recall the city's earlier status as a defensive stronghold. Built in 1080, this was the "new castle" that gave the city its name. The stone keep and gatehouse are all that remain; both are worth seeing, although the effect is somewhat diminished by the railroad viaduct that rather thoughtlessly separates the two.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's