- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's FindsLowest Price Guarantee
Lumley Castle Hotel Review
This is a real Norman castle, right down to the dungeons and maze of dark flagstone corridors. One room even has a bathroom hidden behind a bookcase. Antiques and rich fabrics lend the rooms a sumptuous feel. Those in the courtyard annex are less expensive, but also less atmospheric. Join in the merriment of the Friday- and Saturday-night Elizabethan banquets or dine in the modern and surprisingly inexpensive Black Knight. The hotel is just east of Chester-le-Street, about 8 miles north of Durham.
If you want to stay in a real castle, they don't come more authentic than this. With stone passageways, hidden rooms, and an original dungeon, Lumley's conversion into a hotel has come late in the structure's 600-year history, and the results are unflinchingly luxurious. Bedrooms are decorated in elegant heritage tones of deep red or green, and filled with antique furniture; some have four poster beds. And if you really want to get into the spirit of things, you could join one of the regular Elizabethan banquets—or go in search of the castle's resident spooks.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $133 & up -- London: 4-Star Hotel near City Center, $200 Off Mercure London Bridge Hotel
- London and Paris Experience IExplore
- $1999 -- British Isles: 7-Night Windstar Cruise, 70% Off Windstar Cruises
- London Experience — $2,857 IExplore
- $1799 & up -- 'World's Best': Luxe European Cruises, 70% Off — $1,799 Windstar Cruises
We recently came back from a one week trip to London and found it thrilling. Read more
As promised I am making recommendations for places as separate threads so that they will be easily searchable when others are looking for recommendations.
Pubs: (New Town)
The Queen's Arms (Frederick Read more
Previously I asked for some advice about the train ride from London to Edinburgh and was advised to buy first class tickets and sit on the East(right) side of the train because there was some good scenery. Read more
· News & Features
From major airline uniform upgrades to tips from the jet set on doing Paris right, this was a very chic... Read more
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha... Read more
Viking Ocean Cruises to debut in May 2015 with a small ship, all-inclusive experience in Scandinavia and... Read more