Auckland Castle Review
Arguably the greatest of the prince-bishops of Durham's properties is this episcopal palace, which you enter through an elaborate stone arch. Much of what's on view today dates from the 16th century, although the limestone-and-marble chapel, with its dazzling stained-glass windows, was built in 1665 from the ruins of a 12th-century hall. Don't miss the extraordinary paintings of Jacob and his 12 sons by the 17th-century Spanish artist Francisco de Zurbarán, in the Long Dining Room. Call ahead to confirm opening times.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's