- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's England 2014
Raby Castle Review
The stone battlements and turrets of moated Raby Castle, once the seat of the powerful Nevills and currently the home of the 11th baron Barnard, stand amid a 200-acre deer park and ornamental gardens. Charles Nevill supported Mary, Queen of Scots in the 1569 uprising against Elizabeth I; when the Rising of the North failed, the estate was confiscated. Dating mostly from the 14th century (using stone plundered from Barnard Castle) and renovated in the 18th and 19th centuries, the luxuriously furnished castle has displays of art and other treasures. Rooms in wonderfully elaborate Gothic Revival, Regency, and Victorian styles are open for viewing. In May, June, and September you can only visit by guided tour, except on Sunday when you're free to wander around (as you can every day in July and August). Raby Castle is 7 miles southwest of Bishop Auckland and 1 mile north of Staindrop.
- Address: A688, Staindrop, DL2 3AH | Map It
- Phone: 01833/660202
- Cost: £10; park and gardens £6
- Hours: Castle July and Aug., Sun.–Fri. 1–4:30; May, June, and Sept., Sun. 1–4:30; Mon.–Wed. tours only, 1–3:20 (last tour). Park and gardens July and Aug., Sun.–Fri. 11–5; May, June, and Sept., Sun.–Wed. 11–5
- Website: www.rabycastle.com
- Location: Bishop Auckland
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
First … thank you so much to all who helped with suggestions. Read more
We saw London, we saw France and lots more.
Day 1 (9/18) Amsterdam
Well I have put off this trip report long enough so here goes. I am writing this to pay forward the help and advice which I received from Read more
I'm looking at using Hotwire for a possible upcoming trip which will include both London and Barcelona.
I've been to London several times and spent a semester there in 1999, but have never used Hotwire Read more
· News & Features
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting. ... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more
Kick off spring with some of this year's best events and hotel packages in Washington, D.C.... Read more