The Northeast Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go
Hadrian's Wall: The ancient Roman wall is a true wonder for the wild countryside around it and the resiliency of its stones and forts.
Castles, castles, castles: Fought over by the Scots and the English, and prey to Viking raiders, the Northeast was heavily fortified. Durham, Alnwick, and Dunstanburgh castles are spectacular remnants of this history.
Medieval Durham: A splendid Norman cathedral that dates back to the 11th century is just one of the city's charms. Take a stroll on its ancient winding streets or along the River Wear.
Lindisfarne (Holy Island): To get to this historic island, you drive across a causeway that floods at high tide. This remote spot includes the ruins of Lindisfarne Priory.
Alnwick Castle and Gardens: The inland seat of the dukes of Northumberland is fascinating with its formidable walls, luxurious interiors, and gardens.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $142-$165 -- Central London Hotel Through Summer, 30% Off ibis London Euston St. Pancras
- $133 & up -- London: 4-Star Hotel near City Center, $200 Off Mercure London Bridge Hotel
- $1699 & up -- London, Paris & Rome 9 Nts. w/Air & Train Europe Express
- $499 & up -- Transatlantic Cruises to Europe, Save $100 Norwegian Cruise Line
- London and Paris Experience — $4,979 IExplore