The Northeast Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go
Hadrian's Wall: The ancient Roman wall is a wonder for the wild countryside around it as well as its stones and forts, such as Housesteads and Vindolanda.
Castles, castles, castles: Fought over by the Scots and the English, and prey to Viking raiders, the Northeast was heavily fortified. Durham, Alnwick, and Dunstanburgh castles are spectacular remnants of this history.
Medieval Durham: A splendid Norman cathedral that dates back to the 11th century is just one of the city's charms. Take a stroll on its ancient winding streets.
Lindisfarne (Holy Island): To get to this historic island, you drive across a causeway that floods at high tide. This remote spot includes the ruins of Lindisfarne Priory.
Alnwick Castle and Gardens: The inland seat of the dukes of Northumberland is fascinating with its formidable walls, luxurious interiors, and gardens.Updated: 10-2013
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's