- Hadrian's Wall The ancient Roman wall is a wonder for the wild countryside around it as well as its stones and forts, such as Housesteads and Vindolanda.
- Castles, castles, castles Fought over by the Scots and the English, and prey to Viking raiders, the Northeast was heavily fortified. Durham, Alnwick, and Dunstanburgh castles are spectacular remnants of this history.
- Medieval Durham A splendid Norman cathedral that dates back to the 11th century is just one of the city's charms. Take a stroll on its ancient winding streets.
- Alnwick Castle and Gardens The inland seat of the dukes of Northumberland is fascinating with its formidable walls, luxurious interiors, and gardens.
- Lindisfarne (Holy Island) To get to this historic island, you drive across a causeway that floods at high tide. This remote spot includes the ruins of Lindisfarne Priory.
Need trip ideas? Check out our curated collections of destinations around the globe.More