- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mountain Goat and Lakes Supertours provide minibus sightseeing tours with skilled local guides. Half- and full-day tours, some of which really get off the beaten track, depart from Bowness, Windermere, Ambleside, and Grasmere.
Walks range from gentle, literary-oriented strolls to challenging ridge hikes. The Lake District National Park or tourist information centers can put you in touch with qualified guides. Blue Badge Guides can provide experts on the area. English Lakeland Ramblers organizes single-base and inn-to-inn guided tours of the Lake District. Lake District Walker offers guided day hikes for different abilities.
Cumbria Tourist Guides (01228/562096. cumbriatouristguides.co.uk.)
English Lakeland Ramblers (703/680–4276 or 800/724–8801. www.ramblers.com.)
Lake District Walker (0844/693–3389. www.thelakedistrictwalker.co.uk.)
Lakes Supertours (1 High St., Windermere, LA23 1AF. 015394/42751. www.lakes-supertours.com.)
Mountain Goat (Victoria St., Windermere, LA23 1AD. 015394/45161. www.mountain-goat.com.)
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's