When to Go
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
When to Go
The Lake District is one of the rainiest areas in Britain, but June, July, and August hold the best hope of fine weather and summer is the time for all the major festivals. You will, however, be sharing the lakes with thousands of other people. If you travel at this time, turn up early at popular museums and attractions, and expect to work to find parking. April and May, as well as September and October, are good alternatives. Later and earlier in the year there’ll be even more space and freedom, but many attractions close, and from December to March, snow and ice can block roads and may preclude serious hill walking without heavy-duty equipment.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's