- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Sports and the Outdoors
Grizedale Forest Park. Stretching southwest from Hawkshead and blanketing the hills between Coniston and Windermere, Grizedale Forest Park has a thick mix of oak, pine, and larch woods crisscrossed with biking and walking paths. Ninety-two outdoor sculptures are scattered beside the trails. The v isitor center has information, maps, a café, and an adventure playground. Off B5286, Hawkshead, LA22 OQJ. 01229/860010. www.forestry.gov.uk/grizedaleforestpark.
Grizedale Mountain Bikes. If you have the urge to explore the trails of the national park, Grizedale Mountain Bikes rents all the right equipment. Grizedale Forest Park Visitor Centre, off B5286, Hawkshead, LA22 OQJ. 01229/860369. www.grizedalemountainbikes.co.uk.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $499 & up -- Transatlantic Cruises to Europe, Save $100 Norwegian Cruise Line